The UNESCO Ningaloo Coast World Heritage Area was established in 2011 and is regarded as one of the last great ocean paradises. The area was listed due to its marine and terrestrial (land) properties including rare flora and fauna such as the Whale Shark, with 300 to 500 of these megafauna aggregating at Ningaloo annually.
The Ningaloo Reef is one of the longest near-shore reefs in the world and the world's largest fringing reef system, stretching 300 kilometres from Red Bluff (accessible via Carnarvon) running north along the coast to the Muiron Islands in the north and Bundegi Beach in the east of the Exmouth Gulf.
In the south is Carnarvon, a sub-tropical oasis positioned between the Shark Bay and Ningaloo World Heritage Areas, the ideal base for day trips and overnight visits to the southern Ningaloo Reef and Gascoyne hinterland.
Further north, Coral Bay is a small seaside location - a marine paradise for nature lovers, a Western Australian family holiday destination, and home to WA's largest Manta Ray population which you can swim with.
Exmouth is the northern gateway to the Reef and is the perfect location from which to explore the impressive landscape of the Cape Range National Park and the underwater wonders of the Ningaloo Marine Park.
* Top Five *
- Swim: with Ningaloo's 'Big 3' - whale sharks, manta rays and humpback whales, in Exmouth & Coral Bay
- Visit: Carnarvon Space and Technology Museum.
- Swim: and snorkel at Coral Bay
- Stay: at an Outback Station Stay
- Explore: Exmouth’s Ningaloo Aquarium and Discovery Centre
Diving is popular at Ningaloo, as is snorkelling, with over 500 types of tropical fish and 6 types species of sea turtle living in ancient coral gardens, relax on pristine secluded beaches and experience the incredible thrill of swimming with the world’s largest fish, the whale shark, and more recently, swimming with the Humpback Whales out of Coral Bay and Exmouth.
The Ningaloo region is approximately
- 890 kilometres to Carnarvon or a 2-hr flight to Carnarvon airport with Skippers Aviation.
- 1120 kilometres to Coral Bay and 1245 kilometres to Exmouth or a 90 minute flight to Learmonth airport with Qantas.
- We highly recommend pre-booking transfer or car hire before arriving - taxis and transport do not meet every flight.
Discover Ningaloo's Big 3
Africa has its Big 5, and Ningaloo has its Big 3 - whale sharks, humpback whales and manta rays. Get up close to these incredible megafauna on tour from Coral Bay and Exmouth.